Quick update March 30th, 2020:
1. The Village Offices are open. The municipal Building is not. We will conduct business through the mail slot in the front door, by telephone, or on-line, as necessary. Call 315.483.9821 for questions.
2. Per State request, we have reduced our staff as far as we can go. This means that non-essential services, such as leaf and brush pickup will be delayed for the duration of this emergency. Essential services are continuing uninterrupted.
3. We sent out Village water and sewer bills early. This is because this is the billing quarter that will convert all unpaid charges to customers’ property taxes. We wanted to give our customers as much time to make arrangements as possible, as current circumstances may make paying this bill a hardship for some. Please understand that if this were any other quarter, we would have some leeway with the billing. However, as the County and State deadlines have not been waived, our hands are tied in this matter. Feel free to call 315.483.9821 to discuss your situation. We will assist you any way allowable under New York State Law.
State of Emergency Declared 19 March 2020
Dear Citizens of Sodus:
For the sake of consistency, and in solidarity with the Town of Sodus, the County of Wayne, and the State of New York, I declare that a State of Emergency exists within the Village of Sodus effective as of noon today, Thursday, 19 March 2020. The State of Emergency will persist for thirty (30) days, or until lifted.
The COVID-19 pandemic is certainly unprecedented in our lifetime, and this makes it difficult to gauge when a response is appropriate. I am choosing to err on the side of caution. By declaring this State of Emergency at this time, I am preparing for an uncertain future when and if further action will be required.
Although any response to this situation must remain fluid and likely to change at any given moment, for now the impact on Village operations is minimal.
- All Village buildings are hereby closed to the public. Please conduct all business possible via telephone. The Village phone number is 315.483.9821.
- All public meetings on behalf of the Village are hereby suspended. This includes the Board of Trustees, the Zoning Board of Appeals, and the Climate Smart Communities Task Force.
- As mentioned earlier this week, at the recommendation of the Office of the Governor, I have made a temporary 33% reduction in our workforce for the next two weeks.
These actions have been taken to limit the potential spread of the virus and to protect the health of the public and of our employees.
The delivery of essential and emergency services has not been impacted in any way. We continue to produce and deliver water of the highest quality and to process waste water. The Village Police Department continues to patrol our streets and the Sodus Fire Company stands ready to serve. Should the need to plow snow or repair our infrastructure arise, all employees will be recalled immediately.
These are trying times and I know that many of you are apprehensive about the future. I do not possess any inside knowledge about this pandemic, but I know the people of Sodus. I know that we will get through this just as we have gotten through adversity in the past. I remain confident that we will emerge from this better and stronger than we are today.
In the meantime, please take care of yourselves, your loved ones, your neighbors, and people you’ve yet to meet. It’s the Sodus way.
With Warm Regards,
David J. Englert
Village of Sodus
Our Municipal Water Supply
The news from Flint, MI recently has concerned many of us about the quality of our drinking water. Rest assured that the water produced by the Village of Sodus continues to be of the highest quality. We regularly test for a wide array of potential contaminants. The 2016 Water Quality Report is now available at https://sodusvillage.org/about-the-village/water/.
Speaking of water, the Village is very pleased to announce that our very own Phil Badman has been selected as the 2016 New York Rural Water Association Water Operation Specialist of the Year! Congratulations, Phil!